Through intensive training you will develop strong communication skills including active listening, and if you undertake one of our committee roles, you’ll learn even more about the Nightline service as well as learning more skills that you can use for future employment.
Without our listeners our service would not be able to run. Nightline stands apart from many other student activities which are often social or recreational. Through intensive training you will develop strong communication skills including active listening.
- Represents Nightline to external organisations, including the Students’ Union, university and Nightline association.
- Deputises for internal coordinator to manage the work of the Executive Committee as required.
- Responsible for the Publicity, Information, Social and Fundraising coordinators.
- Manages the work of the Executive Committee
- Ensures the well being of all volunteers
- Deputises for the external coordinator at external meetings as required
- Chairs all meetings
- Maintains constitution and policies
- Responsible for the Volunteer rep., IT, Rota, Secretary, Support and Training Coordinators
- Produces posters to publicise the service
- Coordinates volunteers to put up posters
- Publicises the service as necessary: mailing list emails, student newspaper articles, etc.
- Attends public events to promote Nightline Non-public (anonymous outside Nightline)
- Organises Committee elections
- Ensures the well-being of all volunteers
- Organises regular meetings of the entire volunteer base to ensure that volunteer views are represented to the Executive Committee
- Keeps your information service database / Internet links up-to-date
- Acquires up-to-date telephone directories
- Produces a wall chart with frequently needed numbers (e.g. security, taxis, GPs, pizzas etc.) and other information (e.g. library opening times, night bus timetable)
- Maintains Nightline website
- Maintains & is responsible for email and information listening services and Nightline Officer I.T.
- Creates and manages the rota
- Investigates whether to use the 3 Rings online rota system.
- Writes up minutes of meetings
- Acts as a link with the Nightline association and other Nightlines
- Monitors call logs and proposes policies to the Executive Committee when necessary
- Organises a range of social events for the group (e.g. afternoon coffee, club nights, balls, days out, bowling etc.)
- Includes a mix between alcohol and non-alcohol related activities
- Organises support groups and structures for volunteers, ensuring every volunteer debriefs after each shift
- Organises training sessions for new volunteers
- Creates volunteer groups for training sessions
- Plans a programme of on-going training events for existing volunteers
- Supplies needed for training sessions
- Manages the accounts
- Coordinates fundraising efforts